Blood donors to fill need during COVID-19 pandemic
Media Event: Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada and the American Red Cross are teaming up to co-host a blood drive on Thursday, May 21 from 10am – 2pm.
Event details: An unprecedented number of blood drives were canceled during the first few weeks of the COVID-19 outbreak. There is no known end date in the fight against COVID-19 and the Red Cross needs the help of blood donors to maintain a sufficient blood supply for weeks to come. While this blood drive is booked, the Red Cross encourages donors to visit RedCrossBlood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to find a local blood drive.
Event Date and Time: Thursday, May 21 at 10am – 2pm
Event Location: Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada – 2941 Harris Avenue, Las Vegas, NV 89101
Notes: While the event lasts from 10am – 2pm, media are invited from 10am – Noon.
Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada CEO Kimberly Trueba and a representative from the Red Cross will be available for interviews and photos.
The Red Cross follows the highest standards of safety and infection control, and volunteer donors are the only source of blood for those in need.
At each blood drive or donation center, Red Cross employees follow thorough safety protocols, including:
· Wearing gloves and changing them often
· Wiping down donor-touched areas after every collection
· Using sterile collection sets for every donation
· Preparing the arm for donation with aseptic scrub
· Conducting donor mini-physicals to ensure donors are healthy and well on day of donation
We have also increased our vigilance concerning some of these safety protocols including:
· Enhanced disinfecting of surfaces and equipment
· Providing hand sanitizer for use before entering and throughout the donation appointment
· Temperature checks before presenting donors enter the blood drive or donation center
· Following social distancing practices between donors including donor beds, as well as waiting and refreshment areas.
· Staff wearing basic face masks
· For the safety of our donor community and in accordance with CDC guidelines, all donors are required to wear a face covering or mask. Please bring a face covering or mask to your donation. If you do not have one, a mask will be provided to you.
About Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada
Founded on April 14, 1932 in Boulder City, Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada (GSSNV) is the preeminent leadership development organization for girls. GSSNV focuses on four key pillars: STEAM Education, Outdoor Experiences, Life Skills, and Entrepreneurship Opportunities. GSSNV serves the four Southern-most counties in Nevada: Clark, Lincoln, Nye, & Esmeralda, as well as the Southern California counties of Inyo and San Bernardino (eastern border).
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40% of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or cruzrojaamericana.org, or visit us on Twitter at @RedCross.
Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada Chief Communications Officer
# # #